Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht Hotel
Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht Hotel by Marcel Wanders, Set in a Unesco World Heritage site of the former Public Libarary in the lively Jordaan district as well as a stone drop from the city’s major musical venues, the 122-room hotel offers not merely a place to come home and relax, but as well as a place that will energise and inspire you.
The five-star boutique hotel provides you with a unique refreshing taste of Amsterdam. Reflecting its lively and distinctive surroundings through the design of renowned local designer Marcel Wanders, Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht hotel offers not merely a place to come home to and relax, but a place that will energize and inspire.
Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht is located in the historic centre of Amsterdam, on the site of the former Public Library on Amsterdam’s Prinsengracht, “Prince Canal”, and within close walking distance from Amsterdam’s major attractions. The upscale 122 rooms boutique hotel is part of the rich cultural character of the lively Jordaan district, home to Amsterdam’s main modern art galleries and fashion houses.
Set on the site of the former Public Library on the Prinsengracht (Prince’s Canal) part of the iconic city’s ring of canals, the 122-room hotel is surrounded by the cultural scene of the lively Jordaan district and the charming Nine Streets, filled with unique specialty shops and trendy fashion boutiques.
The 122 artistically inspired, stylish guestrooms come alive through modern Dutch history design. Feel at home with amenities such as complimentary snacks and nonalcoholic drinks from the mini bar, local phone calls and Wi-Fi.
Enjoy the social heart of the boutique art hotel with a cup of coffee or glass of wine in the Andaz Lounge, or discover the signature cocktails in the Bluespoon Bar. For an exciting culinary evening come to in-house restaurant Bluespoon where Chef Julien Piguets cuisine comes to life with only the finest and freshest local products
In his avant-garde design concept for Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, Marcel Wanders was inspired by Dutch culture, the history and location of the former library and the city of Amsterdam as a cultural ‘melting pot’. These contrasts create an exciting design. His interpretation has rendered a cutting edge multi-functional design concept. This design concept emphasizes the contemporary character of Andaz as an exclusive lifestyle and boutique hotel, that reflects its environment and creates a platform for art and culture where people meet up and new worlds arise. Guests experience an exclusive and authentic stay in the heart of Amsterdam with an innovative and personal service of the highest level. The hotel is built with the highest quality materials and with special care for sustainability. Only the outside of the former building remains identifiable; behind the façade everything is new.
Hotel Facilities & Amenities Features:
- Guest Rooms and Suites: All Guest Rooms and Suites feature an artistically Dutch décor inspired by local themes and welcome you to the open-plan room concept. For the comfort of guests all rooms are equipped with a plush king-sized bed, oversized desk, comfortable ‘Wandaz’ reading chair and spacious bathroom, a Geneva Sound system with iPod dockingstation and 42-inch LCD-TV with international channels. Truly unique are Observatory View Rooms, overlooking the centre of the hotel with a décor inspired by the most ancient of navigation systems for travelers. Additionally, Garden View Rooms boast views of Marcel Wanders design garden, a myterious and verdant space while our Canal View rooms look over the iconic Prinsengracht canal. Suites feature a comfortable living room with dining area and separate bedroom. The pinnacle of luxury is the Prinsengracht Suite boasting 144 sqm of comfort and space, and an impressive 33 sqm roof terrace.
- Bluespoon Restaurant & Lounge: Taste the flavor of Amsterdam in our signature restaurant Bluespoon. Enjoy local farm-to-table dishes and seasonal menus that will thrill your senses. The Lounge is situated in the main lobby area, is the heartbeat of the hotel – a casual, all-day space where hotelguests and visitors gather for a convivial drink or light bite.
- The Spa: The Spa at the Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht will be the perfect retreat during your stay to unwind or energize. Enjoy the solarium, a lower heat sauna of 60°C, or be pampered with one of our treatments integrating healing benefits of plants, flowers and herbs as well as result-oriented therapies.
- Meeting & Events: With over 400 square metres (4,305 square feet) of flexible space, including boardrooms and the Andaz Studio’s, everything from a boardroom meeting to a large cocktail reception can be catered for. Our flexible meeting and event space comprises: Andaz Studio’s with a maximum capacity of 100 persons in theatre set-up, the Gallery, offering serving as your pre-function area as well as additional break-out space, the Prinsengracht Board room, also known as the ‘Delft Blue Room’ featuring videoconferencing facilities.
Andaz Amsterdam is designed to be a sophisticated hotel that has the relaxed nature of the people and the city in which it lives. Located in the very centre of Amsterdam, between two major canals the Prinsengracht ( Princes canal) and the Keizersgracht (Emperors canal) inspired the logic that the hotel beat with same heart as the city – thus the golden age, delft blue, navigation and adventure and the cities vibrant knowledge economy all inform the look and feel of the hotel.As a space that will accommodate visitors to the city, the hotel is intended to be a vessel that instantly connects people to place, it is designed to offer a local experience for international people, and also be a key venue for those who live in the city and want to showcase their heritage and hospitality.
The building that holds to hotel is that of the former public library of Amsterdam. The library stood from 1977 until 2007 when it was relocated to Oosterdokseiland, and this heritage informs the design direction of the hotel with books both physical and deconstructed forming the look and feel. Specifically, the imagery of historic books about and from Amsterdam serve as inspiration for the wallpaper and other graphic décor, and creates a space the visitor to Amsterdam and offers an authentic local experience.
Along with books, video art is a medium that will be visible within the hotel, as like reading, viewing video art is a process that requires time, and so a hotel is a perfect place to offer both these resources.
Wisdom from the books that once lived in the old library has been transferred to the walls to create a covering that talks about time and place. Reflected in large mirrors, this wall becomes an endless universe of knowledge.
On the back wall of each hotel room sits a giant photographic image known as a Connected Polarity. A connected polarity takes take two unsuspecting items in this case a fish head and an object tail and stitches them together to create a new, surprising whole (the Amsterdam city logo is three xxx and if you look at them as embroidery stitches you can fit things together and connect them).
The idea stems from the notion that while Amsterdam is a creative and tolerant city, a city that is open minded enough to begin a conversation without preconceived ideas; it remains a constant challenge to stay this way. By embracing two opposites or two objects that seem not to relate and showing how they can connect to become a unique whole we keep this special quality alive. Thus fish and spoon, fish and brush, fish and vase sit harmoniously on the walls of Andaz as one, demonstrating our mission to embrace the polarities within the city and to keeping an open mind.
Project name: Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
Location: Prinsengracht 587, 1016 HT Amsterdam, Netherlands
Coordinates: 52.367872, 4.882817
Type: Hotel Interior
Hotel Size: 122 rooms including 5 Suites
- 1 Prinsengracht Suite 145 sqm / 1560 sq.ft
- 1 Andaz Large Suite 55 sqm / 592 sq.ft
- 3 Andaz Suites 55 -60 sqm / 592 – 645 sq.ft
- 3 Garden View Terrace Rooms 24 – 31 sqm / 258 -333 sq.ft
- 8 Large Canal View Rooms 33 – 34 sqm / 355 – 365 sq.ft
- 11 Large Garden View Rooms 31 – 37 sqm / 333 – 398 sq.ft
- 52 Garden View Rooms 27 – 35 sqm / 290 – 376 sq.ft
- 26 Canal View Rooms 26 – 32 sqm / 279 – 344 sq.ft
- 17 Andaz Rooms 24 – 33 sqm / 258 – 355 sq.ft
Opening Date: October 29, 2012
Visit Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht Hotel’s website: here
Client / Owner / Developer: Hyatt Hotels Corporation
Interior designer: Marcel Wanders – Amsterdam, Netherlands
Text Description: © Courtesy of Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht Hotel, Marcel Wanders
Images: © Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht Hotel, flickr-Ken Lee