Areias do Seixo Charm Hotel & Residences
Discover the Dunes, the Atlantic at your feet… feel the PURE Breeze…Comfort & Warmth… Tranquility & Charm…Room with a Soul, at a candlelit, 18 rooms – Beachfront location – Eco-friendly hotel – Individually designed rooms – Luxury spa – Gourmet restaurant – Natural setting – Intimate atmosphere. Less than an hour away from Lisbon sits Areias Do Seixo Charm Hotel & Residences, a hotel that respects its natural surroundings while treating guests to a luxuriously sustainable experience.
A magical place less than one hour from Lisbon, Areias do Seixo is haven in Nature. The pine trees, the dunes, and the sea whisper their secrets in your ear. Feel the originality, comfort and sophistication in a perfect synthesis with the land. Each room confides in you a different story. The restaurant awaits you with a trip of smells, flavors, and colors, taking the benefit of what the land gives us naturally. Open the mysterious door of thier SPA and immerse yourself in unique sensations. Return to the origins, with no hurries, in a place where “to feel” is the main verb.
Areias do Seixo, a 35-minute drive from Lisbon, can make you believe that if only you could stay a little longer, gazing out at the rippling dunes or sunk in the stone tub while pinecones smolder in the nearby fireplace, you would never again feel ennui. Every part of this lovely space—from the soothing spa, to the airy dining room with its open kitchen, to the seven individually designed guest rooms—induces a profound sense of well-being. It doesn’t hurt that guest rooms open onto a broad swath of windswept gardens and, beyond, the blue Atlantic.
The interiors are just as pleasing, composed of glass, stone, and rough-hewn wood, with olive trees or lavender never far from reach. The result is a design-conscious place that would blur the lines between indoors and out if it weren’t for the almost folkloric details and eco-sensitivity that reflect the taste of owners Gonçalo Alves and Marta Fonseca: handmade candlesticks on the restaurant tables, silk embroidered pillows in rooms.
An on-site organic garden supplies the restaurant with vegetables and herbs, (hidden) solar panels provide electricity, and much of the furniture is made from repurposed timber. Every evening, the couple welcome guests with wine and a bonfire just a few feet from the crashing waves. It’s just one of the surprising touches—returning to your room at night to find it illuminated by candles is another—that make Areias do Seixo so remarkable.
- They wanted it to be environmentally friendly, and small enough to feel like a home. With an unerring artistic eye, they have incorporated driftwood from the beaches into their designs and built around trees where necessary (my bathroom had an olive tree in the middle of it) in 14 bedrooms which use geothermal energy and solar power.
- Each is decorated differently: some suggest Marta’s maternal Cape Verde home, others the African savannah. All have polished cement floors and pebble walls, soft quilts and open fires or wood-burning stoves. From your private wooden deck you can gaze at the distant blue ocean.
- The warm atmosphere created by the owners emanates throughout the hotel. It is reflected in the home-cooked food served in the bare-board-chic restaurant, the campfire evenings when guests can gather as Marta plays the guitar, and the honesty bars.
- There is a garden, a greenhouse where lemongrass is grown for home-brewed tea, a swimming pool and a spa. A private path takes you across the cliffs and down to the beach. Magical.
Areias do Seixo Hotel is a unit of charm with a strong environmental conscience and a role for the intervention and the raising of awareness in the local community, its employees, and their guests. From the construction of the building to its actual use, the concern about creating the least impact on the environment was constantly present mainly in the following aspects:
- The rubble and ruins of the old aviary that existed in the land where the hotel was implanted were crushed, and then reused in the foundations of paving.
- The insulation of the building was conducted using cork on the wall cavity. Also included, as soon as planned, were the deployment of landscaped roofs that in addition to allowing the replacement of a species of natural characteristics to this region make it more efficient as thermal insulation.
- The heating and cooling of water is done through the use of Geothermia, an ecological system that allows the efficient usage of the temperature existent within the earth.
- Photovoltaic production (in development)
- Circuit of compost transforming the organic matter produced in the unit into natural fertilizer for application to agricultural land to explore in the unit
- Reuse of various materials resulting of leftovers from the construction work to create pieces of furniture and decoration applied in several areas of the hotel.
- Reuse of wood from trees that fell and materials that were damaged due to bad weather which hit the region on December 23, 2009, to create furniture and decorative pieces applied in several areas of the hotel.
- Planting of fruits, vegetables and herbs organically, without using chemicals.
- Reuse of storm water and catching of water vertically for the use in irrigation, laundry, and toilets of the unit.
- Creation of an integrated automation and multimedia application that consists of the automation and control of the infrastructure for electricity, water and sewerage. This solution allows the production of management information on the entire property and equipment of the unit using energy resources, as well as monitoring the efficiencies obtained in the various resources used in the Hotel.
The insulation of the building was conducted using cork on the wall cavity. The heating and cooling of water is done through the use of Geothermia, an ecological system that allows the efficient usage of the temperature existent within the earth. Circuit of compost transforming the organic matter produced in the unit into natural fertilizer for application to agricultural land to explore in the unit. To top it all off, the company is being completely transparent with their consumption data as they have implemented an Eco Clock on their website where anyone can check how much water, gas, and energy the hotel is using at the moment.
- A haven where originality, comfort and sophistication come together, Areias do Seixo is an ecological hotel, that lives in total harmony with nature.
- Indian, Moroccan and African inspirations are felt throughout the hotel, but one of TSP’s favourite details is the participation of guests in the upkeep of the organic vegetable and herb garden.
- This place doesn’t just have ten blindly romantic and unique rooms, it’s also the apotheosis of eco chic. Couples heading for this retreat are bound to be blown away by the interiors, which take the colours and designs from India and Morocco and blend them with modern minimalism and imagination, as well as extraordinary mod cons and irresistible bathrooms. To give you the flavour, the Land Room Nha Cretcheu has an insanely beautiful bath with glass lanterns suspended like tears, plus a driftwood-framed bed, glittery silver lampshade and an air of refined luxury.
- The hotel is designed to offer more than just an experience. Worships the detail and all with minimal environmental impact. So shows like “The hotel embraces nature.” A good example is that behind its sophisticated decor in each room becomes a different story, the materials come from reusing decorations and fallen trees after a storm in 2009.
Project name: Areias do Seixo Charm Hotel & Residences
Location: Praceta Do Atlântico – Mexilhoeira, Póvoa De Penafirme, 2560-046 A dos Cunhados, Portugal
Coordinates: 39.153276, -9.363203
Type: Hotel, Hotel Interior
Room & Suites: 18
Price: Nightly Rate from EUR 265
Completion Year: 2010
- 2013 Tripadvisor Awards – Tripadvisor Travellers’ Choice – Top 10 Hotel for Romance – Winner
- 2013 Tripadvisor Awards – Tripadvisor Travellers’ Choice – Top 25 Small Hotel in Portugal
- 2013 Tripadvisor Awards – Ranked No.1 of 1 hotels in A dos Cunhados
- 2012 Green Project Awards Portugal – Winner
- 2012 The Green Key Awards Portugal – the environmentally friendly hotels
- 2011 Condé Nast Traveller Magazine Awards – Editors’ picks of world’s best NEW hotels – HOT LIST
- Stern Reiser Award – 100 Best Hotel in Europe
Visit Design Museum Holon’s website: here
Client / Owner / Developer: Gonçalo Alves and Marta Fonseca
Architects: Arqui+ Arquitectura e Design – Av. Vilamoura XXI, Edif. Portal de Vilamoura, 8125-017 Benfarras, Algarve, Portugal
Project Architect: Vasco Vieira
Text Description: © Courtesy of Areias do Seixo Charm Hotel & Residences, cntraveler, Tripadvisor
Images: © Areias do Seixo Charm Hotel & Residences