Blooming Bamboo home
The bamboo house project called “Blooming Bamboo Home”, which can survive natural disasters in Vietnam, was designed by H&P Architects. As one of the top three countries most vulnerable to natural disasters, living with floods is a difficult reality for many in Vietnam. Aiming to create a structure that can survive floodwaters.
This prototype bamboo dwelling was designed and built with the intention to be mass -produced and sold as an attractive, yet affordable house. The dwellings, which can withstand heavy floods, can be built by owners within 25 days. 40 The prototype is placed on stilts and is built around a bamboo frame which can be adapted to suit individual needs of users. Locally sourced materials including bamboo and coconut leaves are used. The modular prototype though originally planned to be a house can be modified to be a classroom, community centre or a medical facility. The aim was to set up a basic and adaptable piece of vernacular architecture which would be culturally appropriate, socially relevant and responsive to different climatic conditions.
“The stand-out feature of the project was not only its unique design, which responds directly to the severe and varying natural phenomena that occurs in Vietnam, but also its ability to be constructed by its inhabitants within 25 days. With its multifunctional uses as a house, a classroom or a healthcare clinic, the panel recognised the brilliant versatility of the project alongside the sustainability factor. “I think it is just lovely, such a fantastic idea … I love it!” commented Piers. Julian noted the “beautiful response to the materials,” and highlighted the simplicity of the design idea.” – WAN Awards
- The Blooming Bamboo Home is a housing solution for millions of Vietnamese people suffering from natural disasters such as storms, floods, landslides and drought. With bamboo modules of four to five centimetres in diameter and 3.3m or 6.6m in length, each house can be simply assembled with bolts, the bamboo bound together, hung and put in place.
- The bamboo home design is based on modulated bamboo sticks put together in simple, but secure methods to enable the house to survive flooding of up to 1.5 meters. Research is currently underway to design a structure that can stand strong against 3-meter high waters.
- The bamboo house’s use can vary based on need (housing, education, medical, etc.), size and material (bamboo, palm trees, coconut leaves, etc.), depending on the climate and condition of the region. Each house can be built within 25 days at a cost of $2,500.
- Blooming Bamboo’s facade allows ample natural light and ventilation, and the property also includes rainwater collection facilities with integrated filtration system. Besides a house, the building could also be used as a small community center, medical center, or educational facility.
“The house can keep people warm in the most severe conditions and help them control activities in the future, also contributing to ecological development as well as economic stabilisation,” – H&P Architects
In Vietnam, the natural phenomena are severe and various: storm, flood, sweeping floods, landslides, drouhgt, etc… The damage every year, which is considerable compared to the world scale, takes away about 500 persons and 1.2%-GDP-equally assets and reduces the involved areas’ development.
One solution to houses and homes for millions of these people is the goal of this BB (Blooming Bamboo) home.
From the bamboo module of d=8-10cm & d=4-5cm diameter and 3.3m or 6.6 length, each house is simply assembled with bolting, binding, hanging, placing… This pulled monolithic architecture is strong enough to suffer from phenomena like 1.5m-high flood. The space is multifuntional such as House, Educational, Medical and Community Center and can be spreaded if necessary.
From the fixed frame using d=8-10cm bamboo, the house cover can be finished according to its local climate and regional materials (d=4-5cm small bamboo, bamboo wattle, fiberboard, coconut leaf…) in order to create vernacular architecture.
The users can build the house by themselves in 25 days. Besides, it can be mass produced with modules and the total cost of the house is only 2500$. Therefore, the house can warm people in the most severe conditions and help them control activities in the future, also remarkably contribute to ecological development as well as economic stabilization. This will give condions for self-control process and create connection between vernacular culture and architecture.
Project name: Blooming Bamboo home
Location: Cau Dien Town, Tu Liem District, Ha Noi, Vietnam
- Type By Characteristic: Green & Sustainable House, Cabin / Hut / Cottage, Low Cost House
- Type By Site: Countryside / Suburb House
- Type By Size: Tiny House – (less than 51 sqm)
- Type By Materials: Wooden House
Total floor area: 44 sqm
Completion Date: Sep. 2013
Client / Owner / Developer: Hoang Van Duy
Architects: H&P Architects – Floor 2, Building B8, TT18, Van Quan Urban Zone, Ha Dong District, Hanoi, Vietnam
Architect In Charge: Doan Thanh Ha & Tran Ngoc Phuong
- Chu Kim Thinh, Erimescu Patricia, Nguyen Van Manh, Nguyen Khanh Hoa, Nguyen Quynh Trang, Tran Quoc Thang, Pham Hong Son, Hoang Dinh Toan, Pham Quang Thang, Nguyen Hai Hue, Nguyen Khac Phuoc
Contractor: H&P Architects
Text Description: © Courtesy of H&P Architects
Images: © H&P Architects, Doan Thanh Ha