Casa 103 is a minimalist house located in Algarve, Portugal, designed by Ultramarino. The residence is located in a historical center of a fishing village, with layers of internal and external glass partitions that allow natural light through each of the rooms.
From the front door you enter into a long hallway that issues in the bedroom and 2 bathrooms. Then go up the stairs to the living room with a cozy fireplace. A few steps further you get into the kitchen and dining area opening with sliding doors onto the terrace with swimming pool built at different levels on the slope.
- Creates privacy and openness with an airy, sun-filled multilevel layout in white and earth tones of wood and stone, behind a harmonizing white-walled facade.
- created a facade which would serve as a physical barrier between the public and private areas while enhancing the visual connection with the village and river.
- Interior and exterior staircases link the different levels of the sloping site, leading down from a staggered rear terrace to the two main floors of the house, and then further down to the entrance at street level.
ultramarino – marlene uldschmidt arquitecta:
Our studio were excited to take on such an interesting project in the Fishing Village of Ferragudo, Portugal. The historic center of Ferragudo is an extremely sensitive area to work in and we believed that our intervention should be balanced harmonious and above all integrate with the surrounding architecture and history. The studio decided to explore the concept of “LIVING BEHIND THE WALL” !
The challenge was to create a facade which would be a physical barrier between the public and private areas whilst enhancing the visual connection with the village and the river.
The difficult topography of the site meant that our concept would need to allow for the design of the internal space to strengthen their visual connection with the rest of the village and beyond. The concept we chose was to use the changes of level within the site in order to achieve this goal.
Another challenge of this concept was to create a light and airy feeling within the building. We created a vertical well of light that links all levels to achieve this.
In order to balance the simple white walls natural materials of wood and stone in earthy tones where chosen.
Project name: Casa 103
Location: Ferragudo, Portugal
Coordinates: 37.123875, -8.520513
- Type By Characteristic: Townhouse, Contemporary House
- Type By Site: Hill House
- Type By Size: Small House – (51 sqm – 200 sqm)
- Type By Structural: Plaster / Mortar / Masonry House
Site Area: 230 sqm
Building Area: 90 sqm
Total floor area: 180 sqm
Project Year: 2010-2013
Completion Year: May 2013
Client / Owner / Developer: Private
Architects: ultramarino – marlene uldschmidt arquitecta – Escadinhas do Arade, n. 6, 8400-238 Ferragudo, Algarve, Portugal
Collaborator: Marlene Uldschmidt, Arqt.ª, Maurícia Bento, Arqt.ª
Structure: Protecna – Consultores de Engenharia Lda.
Carpentry: Equipa Quatro – Comércio e Construções Lda.
Sanitary: Hansgrohe, Axor, Duravit; Geberit, Viega
Furniture: Equipa Quatro; Vitra
Text Description: © Courtesy of ultramarino – marlene uldschmidt arquitecta
Images: © ultramarino – marlene uldschmidt arquitecta, FG+SG