[highlight1] Mulini Beach [/highlight1]
The reconstruction of Mulini Beach which started in October 2013. The 450m long stretch located in the attractive area of Rovinj, on the exit from the central part of the city and in the continuation of the promenade, was designed by 3LHD. The entire area of the beach is divided into two zones – a stretch from the ACI marina to the Mulini Beach bar/pavilion, and the calmer bay area with a pebble beach.
- A new beach club featuring a waterfront lounge bar has been launched by hotel company Maistra in an idyllic location in Rovinj, Istria – one of the sunniest spots in the Adriatic – bringing to Croatia the latest venture in understated luxury lifestyle.
The pedestrian walkway is located in proximity to the five-star Lone and Monte Mulini hotels and the four-star Hotel Eden. Maistra, Inc. has invested about HRK 25 million in the new pride of Rovinj. The luxurious promenade is made of concrete with white granules and surrounded by Mediterranean greenery thriving in its natural habitat. The shingly beach features plateaus for sunbathers and a variety of beach amenities and the public area will have three zones offering different services at different prices. With the newly arranged beach and promenade visitors can now enjoy strolling all the way to the green oasis of Zlatni rt Forest Park.
- Main facilities, including the bar, showers, and changing rooms, are housed in a low-rise pavilion-style structure built in natural stone and sheltered by a beautiful steel pergola-like roof. The low-profile exterior of the building, complemented with Mediterranean plants, has been designed to blend harmoniously into the surrounding landscape.
- Mulini Beach was constructed out of white concrete and natural stone, ensuring that it blends seamlessly into its surroundings. As the first man-made beach in Rovinj, the design firm adhered to a strong mandate to create an area that was in harmony with the area’s natural coastal beauty.
- Several sunbathing spaces and a promenade designed to look like a natural rock formation are dotted by Mediterranean vegetation, blending with the bordering Cape Horne Forest.
Mulini Beach Bar:
- The bar is located in the center zone of the Mulini Beach; it is designed as a pavilion with a floating pergola roof – a steel structure that rests on 6 points, whose final shape was determined by an analysis of the sun movement through the summer months. The plateau in front of the bar is equipped with infrastructure that allows small concerts and entertainment.
- The Mulini Beach bar, with a 50-seat open-air dining area, will transform in the evenings into a low-key cocktail bar, complete with lounge furniture spilling onto the terrace, candlelit tables, and twice-weekly events. Adding to the laid-back atmosphere, ambient music specially curated for the beach will combine with live sessions by resident DJ Rea, who has performed at several well-known international music festivals.
Mulini Beach is located in an attractive area of Rovinj, on the exit from the central part of the city and in the continuation of the promenade, in front of hotels Monte Mulini, Lone and Eden, wrapped in a rich green public park and green forest protective areas.
It is an extension of the city’s public area and the promenade whose primary function is to connect the city of Rovinj and park Punta Corrente.
An extremely important factor in the design of the beach was the relationship to existing terrain. With regard to the specific environment that is completely different depending on the time of day (the sea level varies in approximately 80 cm) due to the influence of the tides the design was dependent on the sea as a variable element, the sea has significantly influenced the creative decisions during the design process.
That is why the entire area of the beach is divided into two zones – a stretch from the marina to the beach pavilion that is greatly influenced by the waves, and a much calmer bay with a pebble beach. The first zone is designed as a natural topography, with lots of fractured surfaces for sunbathing and relatively sparse vegetation. The calmer Lone bay is formed as a pebble beach with lush vegetation that gently slopes into the sea.
Mulini Beach Bar, a beach facility with a large bar, locker rooms, showers, toilets and an information desk is located in the center of the zone. In the evening, the beach bar turns into a more intimate lounge with a cozy atmosphere by the sea. It is designed as a pavilion with a floating pergola roof – a steel structure that rests on 6 points, whose final shape was determined by an analysis of the sun movement through the summer months. The pergola, weighing 20 tons, has a span of 30m in length. It is constructed from steel sheets 8mm and 20mm thick, and has a total height of 20cm. The bar can be closed with a sliding wall that is stored inside a storage room during the day. The sliding wall is hung from the pergola construction. The plateau in front of the bar is equipped with infrastructure that allows small concerts and entertainment.
[highlight1] Project Data [/highlight1]
Project name: Mulini Beach
Location: Monte Mulini Tourist Zone, Rovinj, Croatia
Coordinates: 45.072350, 13.635557
Type: Public Facilities, Beachfront, Waterfront
Program: Public, Hospitality
Site Area: 13,515 sqm
Altitude: 3,4 m
Cost: HRK 25 million
Completion Year: 2014
- 2014 – Croatian architects Association (CAA Awards) – Nominations
- 2014 – Piranesi Award – Nominations
[highlight1] The people [/highlight1]
Client / Owner / Developer: Maistra d.d.
Architects: Studio 3LHD – Nikole Božidarevića 13/4, 10000 Zagreb, Hrvatska, Croatia
Landscape Design: Vrtni Design d.o.o. – Luka Brnić
Project Team: Saša Begović, Marko Dabrović, Tatjana Grozdanić Begović, Silvije Novak, Nevena Kuzmanić, Tin Kavurić, Sanja Jasika
Project Team Collaborators: Dragana Šimić, Vibor Granić, Ivan Ćurković
Underwater Construction Project: Strabag-hidroinženjering
Structural Engineering: Palijan d.o.o. – Ivan Palijan
Electrical Engineering: Skira d.o.o. – Tomislav Godena
Plumbing & Drainage: Termotehnika Paun d.o.o. – Vladimir Paun
Irrigation Project: In-Aqua – Damir Čizmek
Special Projects: Dekode d.o.o. – Zoran Divjak
Structural Engineering – Glass Roof On The Pavilion Pergola: RI ISA d.o.o. – Nebojša Buljan
Signage And Environmental Graphics Design: Lana CavarNarcisa Vukojević
Text Description: © Courtesy of Studio 3LHD, easier, tzgrovinj
Images: © Studio 3LHD, Joao Morgado, Mulini Beach