mA-style architects received commissioned to start thinking about how building this venue. Landslide prevention area because of the site is below the cliff, building less land, so the architects with support from a surface of a wall and a thin building north of the main body of the infinite beauty amount. This volume trapezoid, the largest north-facing, to seize the the outside beautiful natural changes — landscape, light, wind. Very simple and comfortable throughout the building space, keep the inside and outside of appropriate open.
The architects describe the house:
- A big pipe sticks out from the valley. It totally focuses like a telescope while looking around the opening scenery. Makinohara plateau that lined with a tea plantation and houses along a gentle slope spreads out here. Here is nice and full of nature. I felt that it is necessary for client who has lived long there to find the way of building which could realize charm of this land again.
- While investigating surroundings and sites thoroughly, I began to think what kind of house suitable is. At first, this site consists of tiered stone wall. Also, it was a land slide prevention area and under the cliff regulation. That’ s why I was limited and was not able to use the whole site for the construction. Therefore, I constituted pipe-formed second floor part.
- The plane constitution of this pipe is a trapezoid. Because the view of the room to the north is beautiful, the foot spreads out towards the north. I made a big opening for the north side.
- This opening projects only scenery. In addition, it catches the change of the season and daily weather directly. Talks with a person and the scenery are born there. Not only the opening project scenery, but also it brings rich light and wind. Simple space constitution makes the room comfortable.
- Furthermore, I made internal space and an outside border with the space vague to plan harmony with the scenery. I groped for the constitution of the details part not to insist on to realize it. I enabled it by making facilities and storing and opening simple.
- There is nice and full of nature in local area. What are the natural environments that are rich for us? It will be the environment where nature is opposite the building which we live in equally and obediently. There is the richness that we can realize by tying human and the nature through architecture.
The project site is located in Makinohara plateau which is covered with tea plantations and the houses are spread along the gentle slope. The entire site could not be used for the construction hence, it was decided that the first floor will consist of tiered stone wall while the second floor will constitute a pipe-form.
The plane constitution of the pipe is a trapezoid. The foot spreads out towards the north, because the view to the north is beautiful. There is a big opening on the north side, not only for scenery, but also for the change in the season and daily weather that can be enjoyed with rich light and wind directly. Simple space constitution makes the room comfortable.
The internal space was made with an outside border keeping in mind the harmony the house shared with the scenery. The facilities required for storing and opening were kept as simple. This house is an example of exhibiting nature through architecture.
Project name: Scope House
Location: Shizuoka, Shimada-City, Japan
- Type By Characteristic: Japanese House, Modern House
- Type By Site: Hill House
- Type By Size: Small House – (51 sqm – 200 sqm)
- Type By Materials: Concrete House
Site Area: 337.15 sqm
Building Area: 72.95 sqm
Gross Floor Area: 94.06
Project Year: 2011
Completion Year: August 2012
Client / Owner / Developer: Private
Architects: mA-style architects – 212-38 Hosoe Makinohara, Shizuoka Prefecture 421-0421, Japan
Project Architect: Atsushi Kawamoto, Mayumi Kawamoto
Text Description: © Courtesy of mA-style architects
Images: © mA-style architects, Kai Nakamura