Soneva Fushi Resorts and Spas
Soneva Fushi is the original desert island hideaway. The resort that set the tone and the standards for every subsequent resort. A jewel of an island – large by Maldives standards – with perfect beaches, a vibrant reef encircling the island, a colony of nesting turtles and its very own world class observatory. There are few more beautiful locations on earth.
Soneva Fushi is the ultimate island experience with sixty-five residences on an island surrounded by a coral lagoon. Soneva Fushi Resort, the first “Robinson Crusoe” style hideaway in the Maldives,is set on the privately owned, uninhibited, tropical paradise island of Kunfunadhoo. A community offering ‘Intelligent Luxury’ in which guests can do a host of activities, or nothing at all. Furnishings that reflect the rustic theme of a designer tropical escape. Dining diversities that range from simple barbecues to gourmet feasts – and an amazing wine cella.
- The resort is designed to have minimal impact on the environment: no trace of rainforest teak, coral or turtle shell decorates the villas. Bottled water is expensive to discourage adding to plastic waste: the desalinated seawater from the tap is safe to drink. Watersports include sensational diving and snorkelling, windsurfing, water-skiing, fishing and there are also excursions to nearby islands. The Six Senses spa offers a vast array of relaxing and rejuvenating treatments.
The Villas are placed so that your very own stretch of white sand beach is just a few steps away. There is dense vegetation in between each villa creating patios and gardens for secluded enjoyment. A favourite pastime is to lie looking out to sea contemplating the beauty of nature. And all the while, soft white sand underfoot. Then there is the wonderful Six Senses Spa, offering a menu of rejuvenating, pampering and holistic wellness treatments to calm mind and body. Excellent diving opportunities are supported by a professional dive school.
- Secluded by lush palm jungle, all 65 sustainable accommodations look upon the Indian Ocean from their own natural sandbox, with high ceilinged bedrooms, plush pillow top beds made with organic cotton sheets and open-air garden bathrooms. Thirteen encompass private seawater swimming pools too. In each of these memorable domains, a butler called Mr. or Ms. Friday from the classic island explorer’s tale Robinson Crusoe will attend to your needs and assist with your holiday desires.
Rehendi Villa: 182 m2
A few barefoot steps from the Indian Ocean sit our original Maldivian retreats amidst thriving jungle. Recline outside on the plush daybed and padded sun loungers or dine by candlelight on your private stretch of sand. Inside the cozy hideaway, climb between unbleached organic cotton sheets on the plumped up bed (king or twins as you prefer). The generous bathroom extends from covered bath with bespoke amenities to an outdoor rain shower in the verdant garden.
- 15 Beach front rooms with king-size bed or twin beds – Outdoor, inside and bathroom daybed – Open air private garden bathroom with separate bathtub and shower – Private outside sitting area with direct access to the beach – Connecting rooms are available.
One bedroom crusoe suite with pool: 544 sqm
Inside this idyllic duplex set deep into the tropical jungle, with its own grand seawater swimming pool surrounded by sand, climb the weathered wooden staircase and cross the charming gangway from your upstairs bedroom under traditional pitched thatch roof to an ocean facing balcony with cushy daybed and dining table. Head back downstairs to the high ceilinged indoor living room, wine cellar and naturally lavish garden bathroom with bathtub for two and rain shower on its own island amidst the pond garden.
- Ground Floor: Entrance hall with large walk-in storage cupboard,Large sitting room with double doors opening to walled-in private garden, Spacious luxurious open air private garden bathroom with water feature, large bathtub and separate shower , Double sink unit with large overhanging mirror. The One Bedroom Crusoe Suite has its own Private Pool (which are tiled with sandstone surround). Upstairs: Bedroom which opens to gangway overlooking into sitting room, leading to a terrace overlooking the front of the villa with a sitting area.
Three bedroom crusoe suite with pool (with spa suite): 649 sqm
Family and friends can swim together in the blue lagoon and seawater pool at this sprawling playpen with fully equipped gym, steam shower and double massage room. Two spacious bedrooms sits downstairs alongside the high ceilinged indoor living room, wine cellar and naturally lavish garden bathroom with dual sinks on a central island, covered bathtub and open air rain shower amidst the outdoor pond garden. Upstairs, cross the charming gangway from the cozy master bedroom to an ocean-facing balcony with private dining and deck chairs.
Two bedrooms crusoe suite with pool: 649 sqm
Your family will feel at home across this vast duplex secluded under soaring palms with a roomy seawater swimming pool sunk into the sand. One bedroom sits downstairs alongside the high ceilinged indoor living room, wine cellar and naturally lavish garden bathroom with dual sinks on a central island, covered bathtub and open air rain shower amidst the outdoor pond garden. Climb the weathered wooden staircase and cross the charming gangway from the cozy master bedroom under a traditional pitched thatch roof to an ocean-facing balcony with intimate dining area and deck chairs.
- 6 Beach Front Duplex Villa with Upstairs and Downstairs Bedroom. Ground Floor: Bedroom with king-size bed / twin bed available with en-suite bathroom , Large sitting room with a corner sofa daybed , Spacious luxurious open air private garden bathroom with water feature, large bathtub and separate shower , Double sink unit with large overhanging mirror , Private outside sitting area with direct access to the beach , 2 Two Bedroom Crusoe Suite has its own Private Pool (which is tiled with sandstone surround) – rate supplement applies. Upstairs: Spacious bedroom with king size/twin bed available which opens to gangway overlooking into sitting room (curtained) leading to a balcony overlooking the front of the villa with a sitting area. Services & in-room facilities: Individual Mr Friday Service / Butler Service , In-Room Wine Cellar.
Crusoe Villa (with Pool): 235 sqm
Climb upstairs in this enchanting palm fringed duplex to see out to sea from the ultra padded day bed or dining table on the palm fringed terrace, then snuggle up for the tropical night under a pitched traditional roof. Downstairs find plenty of space to sprawl in the airy living room while your naturally luxurious bathroom extends from covered bath with bespoke amenities to an outdoor rain shower in an intimate garden.
- 10 Beach front Duplex Villas with upstairs bedroom king-size bed or 2 single beds – Downstairs living room with large daybed/sofa and ivory coloured sand-stone tiles – Additional toilet upstairs – Open air private garden bathroom – Free-standing bathtub and two separate showers in garden. Private outside sitting area with direct access to the beach – 5 Deluxe Crusoe Villas have their own Private Pool (which are tiled with sandstone surround).
Two Bedroom Crusoe Villa with Pool (with Spa Suite): 884 sqm
It takes just a few barefoot steps from the Indian Ocean to your seawater swimming pool or spa suite with gym, dual massage bed treatment room and steam shower inside this split level sanctuary for four. Unwind outside or inside the sunlit living room with private wine cellar. In the open-air bathroom, take a covered bath or rain shower in the intimate garden. Climb upstairs to sleep under the pitched traditional roof and see out to sea from the ultra cozy day bed or dining table on the palm fringed terrace.
Soneva Fushi Villa (with Pool): 395 sqm
A seawater swimming pool hugs the shoreline between the Indian Ocean and your indulgent jungle residence. Spend days together on the cushy outdoor day bed or padded sun loungers, share a candlelight dinner on your private spit of sand then watch movies in the high ceilinged living area. Dream sweet on your cloudlike canopy bed under the traditional pitched thatch roof. In the naturally lavish bathroom, find room for two in the bathtub alongside a calming waterfall and pond garden that leads to the open air rain shower.
- 13 Beach Front Villas with foyer entrance – Spacious bedroom with four-poster king-size bed – Large luxurious open air private garden bathroom with water feature, large bathtub and separate shower, Private outside sitting area with direct access to the beach – 9 Soneva Fushi Villas have their own Private Pool (which are tiled with sandstone surround).
Two Bedroom Soneva Fushi Villa with Pool (with Spa Suite): 395 sqm
Translucent waves unfurl onto the sand in front of your indulgent jungle retreat from the cushy outdoor day bed, the dining table on your private spit of sand and within view from the high ceilinged living area just inside. Dream sweet on your cloudlike canopy bed under a traditional pitched thatch roof. In the open air bathroom, ease into our bathtub with room for two alongside a calming waterfall, pond garden and open air rain shower.
Soneva Fushi Villa Suite and Tree House: 445 sqm
Sleep in this tree house by the sea or leave that to your children whilst you commandeer the canopy bed inside the main villa of this secluded spread amidst the oceanfront greenery. More fun for the grown-ups can be had in the garden bathroom with bathtub for two overlooking the pond garden with stones leading to your open air rain shower. A walkway suspended 2.5 metres up connects the two sides of this fantasy family retreat, also endowed with a private wine cellar and seawater swimming pool.
- Beach Front Villa with foyer entrance , Spacious bedroom with four-poster king-size bed / twin beds available , Additional sitting room with 2 single beds made into a corner sofa daybed , Possibility of separating the sitting area from the bedroom by curtain. Spacious luxurious open air private garden bathroom with water feature, Private outside sitting area with direct access to the beach , The Soneva Fushi Villa Suite has its own Private Pool (which is tiled with sandstone surround). Tree House: A walkway leads from the Villa to the Tree House , Situated 2.5 meters above ground level , 1 bunk bed (2 singles).
Soneva Fushi Villa Suite with Pool: 594 sqm
At this indulgent playpen, swim in the azure lagoon just out front, take a break on cushioned sun beds on your spit of golden sand, and then get wet again in your own seawater swimming pool. Keep cool on the shaded outdoor day bed and dine by candlelight on your private spit of sand and unwind anytime inside the high ceilinged living area. Dream sweet on your cloudlike canopy bed and in the naturally lavish bathroom, find room for two in the bathtub alongside calming waterfall and cross the pond garden on stones leading to your open air rain shower.
- 9 Beach Front Villas with foyer entrance – Spacious bedroom with four-poster king-size bed / twin beds available – Additional sitting room with 2 single beds made into a corner sofa daybed – Possibility of separating the sitting area from sleeping area by curtain – Spacious luxurious open air private garden bathroom and water feature.
The Retreat: 873 sqm
Sunrise or sunset, the choice is yours between these two sustainable castles in the sparkling sand. Each eco-chic sanctuary with private spa pavilion is oriented around a 13 by 3 meter seawater swimming pool with one villa for your full kitchen, private wine cellar, well lit study and a children’s bedroom with full bath. Cross the elevated outdoor gangway to access your pitched roof master suite with canopied king size bed, the island’s largest wardrobe and a sky lit bathroom. Downstairs your deep soak bath is sunk into a private water garden and beyond that, a private gym.
- Beach Front Villa in Two Bungalows on Two Levels. 1 st Bungalow: Ground Floor: Entrance hall with large walk-in storage cupboard , Large luxurious open air private garden bathroom , Large bathtub and separate shower , Double sink unit with large overhanging mirror, Spiral staircase in entrance. Upstairs: Spacious bedroom with four-poster king-size bed opening onto a balcony , Television and Video , Hairdryer , Air-conditioning and overhead fan , Door from bedroom leads to gangway to adjoining bungalow. 2 nd Bungalow: Ground Floor: A large staircase from study leads down into a hallway to main entrance , On one side of hallway is a smaller bedroom suitable for a child or the nanny/maid which is equipped with a bed and a separate bathroom , Large sitting room comprising a large corner sofa bed with two mattresses, Outside: Large doors from the sitting room lead out into pool – which is tiled with sandstone surround , Over the pool between 4 pillars will be the dining pavilion sitting 10-12 people with a gangway leading from the study & kitchen , Consists of a Spa Suite with Steam room, Gym and relaxation area , There is also a staircase from the dining pavilion down to the pool.
Villa 1: 1600 sqm
Villa 1 occupies a prime location on the sunrise side and at the tip of the island adjacent to Dolphin Beach. This location enjoys exceptional 180 degree uninterrupted views over crystal waters and pristine white sand whilst at the same time benefitting from the seclusion and privacy afforded by the dense tropical jungle.
Dramatic indoor living, dining and dreaming areas are linked by tropical open living spaces, romantic terraces, scenic decks and idyllic walkways which surround your private seaside 75sqm swimming pool with direct beach access and sunken dining area.
- Villa 1 benefits from a spacious master bedroom with expansive indoor and outdoor bathrooms complete with steam facilities and natural waterfall. There is a further ensuite guest bedroom in the main villa and a third detached bedroom suite. Further facilities include kitchen with climate controlled wine cellar, personal gym, study and leisure room complete with pool and ping pong table and widescreen television for rainy days and lazy nights.
The Jungle Reserve: 1,720 sqm
Soneva Fushi’s ultimate villa, occupying prime position on the sunrise side of the island. This magnificent escape, built from bamboo and other sustainable woods under a traditional thatched roof, has been revitalised to improve upon its already legendary reputation. Guests enjoy dramatic indoor living areas linked by tropical open living spaces, romantic terraces, scenic decks and idyllic walkways surrounding by a huge private seaside swimming pool. Facilities are exceptional. There are three additional and spacious bedrooms for family or friends, a kitchen with wine cellar, a personal gym and a dedicated spa pavilion with sauna and steam bath below a private massage suite. When you’ve finished sunbathing, spa treatments and dining, retreat to your single level master villa with indoor and outdoor bathrooms surrounded by tropical gardens. We’ll leave you to discover our all time favourite rain shower, hidden in the jungle.
- The Soneva Fushi Jungle Reserve offers the ultimate in privacy complete with a master bedroom, large living space, massage pavilion and steam room, personal gym, private pool with waterslide and Tree House. The master bedroom has an open water garden and the villa can be opened on all sides to enjoy the breeze – or air-conditioned. A footbridge connects to the Spa Villa that comprises a sitting room, a steam-room and shower as well as massage pavilion. A personal air-conditioned gym is located in an adjacent pavilion. The private pool wraps around the villa in a half-moon free-form shape and finish off the Tree House features a bunk bed and a single bed, a toilet and a slide into the swimming pool.
start with what we can grow and fish for sustainably on our own fertile isle, incorporating the talents of inventive chefs from East and West. Mornings, you’ll find a seemingly endless spread of fresh fruits, comforting classics and creative juices to get yours flowing.
Take your picnic lunch on a nearby sandbank or on a deserted island after swimming among our underwater neighbours. Dine in your villa while sunbathing in the sand or return for an equally bountiful lunch buffet.
Evenings are oriented around organic produce from Soneva Fushi’s thriving gardens, the freshest seafood from our surrounding waters and introducing you to Modern Maldivian cuisine, our European Executive Chef’s twist on local traditions.
- Mihiree mitha: Mihiree mitha means “here it is”, and almost any dish you crave is here at our main restaurant, the culinary heart of the island.
- So spiritual bar: This main bar has one of the best selections of freshly made cocktails, spirits and liqueurs in the Maldives. An oasis of calm for reading, playing a board game or relaxing after a spa treatment. It’s also a wi-fi hot spot if you really need to catch up with the outside world.
- By the beach: To the sound of waves rolling onto the nearby shore, you take your seat at the private candle lit table set into the sand and under the stars. Your ceviche, sashimi and sushi come straight from the sea that very same day.
- In villa dining: From early morning until 2 a.m., your edible whim is our kitchen’s command.
- Down to earth: A mouthwatering Mediterranean menu in this newly-built restaurant brings a new dimension to Soneva Fushi cuisine. Menus have been designed for sharing.
- Fresh in the garden: Take your picnic lunch on a nearby sandbank or on a deserted island after swimming among our underwater neighbours. Dine in your villa while sunbathing in the sand or return for an equally bountiful lunch buffet.
- bar(a)bara: Tables at the jetty’s edge overlook fish filled waters as you dine leisurely on tapas and snacks. As turtles paddle past, ease onto a cushioned hammock strung over the Indian Ocean to watch traditional dhonis sail along the seemingly endless horizon.
- Destination dining: Design your dream menu with our European executive chef, select sips from our 7,000 bottle subterranean wine cellar and enjoy it all in romantic privacy wherever your imagination takes you across our jungle covered island, or we’ll deliver you by speedboat to our favourite sandbank.
- The wine cellar: Rare Champagnes, grand cru clarets, vintage cognacs, organic and biodynamic wines are among the 7,000 notable bottles in our subterranean wine cellar, certainly one of the Maldives’ finest.
This luxury resort on the uninhabited island of Kunfunadhoo in the Baa Atoll encourages its guests to spend their entire vacations barefoot. Surrounded by dense tropical foliage, each of the 65 villas has beach access, and some also have private saltwater pools. The interiors are furnished with all-natural materials such as wood, cotton, and wicker, and the bathtubs and showers are set in an enclosed garden area. Four restaurants serve a variety of cuisines, including Mediterranean and Peruvian-Japanese fusion. There’s also a spa, an outdoor movie theater, and a garden observatory with high-powered telescopes.
Project name: Soneva Fushi Resorts and Spas
Location: Kunfunadhoo Island, Baa Atoll, Maldives
Coordinates: 5.112648, 73.076858
Type: Resort, Resort Interior
Size: 65 accommodations
Site Area: 45 hectare (100 acre)
Completion Year: n/a
Visit Design Museum Holon’s website: here